Pages

Saturday 21 April 2012

Bricking it up


In order to try to keep up and strengthen up some ticks, I have been poking around in the brick pits on the last two Saturday mornings. A cold and gloomier morning on the 14th brought me a couple of Little Gulls on the Pillinge which left eastwards 25 minutes before two identical birds arrived at Broom. Also my first two Groppers and an early Lesser Whitethroat to add to a handful of other expected new visitors and a good look at a Slav Grebe of course. Thought I had caught a nice photo of this as well until a couple of minutes after posting on Bedsbirds Images Blog when some others images appeared and I realised that in comparison it was sh*t.

This morning, 21st, a Cettis warbler singing at the far western end of Brogborough was a proper self-find to add to the weak previous claim on the unmissable three that I have had within MVCP. A Common Sandpiper flitting across the water from the bricks in the SE corner of the lake was also a good list padder as these are not a species you can just go out and get.
The other weaker tick I had for the list this year was LRP at Broom, for which I have taken a couple of barbed comments, so it was good to come across two of my own on new sites for me this morning. One individual was on the MVCP Pillinge and another was found on the flattened rubble of a previous industrial complex. A nice morning to be out with plenty of warblers now in and singing and my first Cuckoo of the year as well…

No comments:

Post a Comment