Pages

Saturday 3 November 2012

Is it christmas - 3rd November ?

A long walk around the hills this morning with dreams of shrikes and harriers. Did not find any of those but a pair of birds seen from the B655 just east of Barton-le-Clay were self found for the year - but I am not intending to count them on the list. I don't think they were wild vagrants from the US and were probably too fat to have made the trans-Atlantic crossing but they were wary and scarpered off through the hedge when I got out of the car...

Christmas did come this afternoon though with the sight of a Tree Sparrow on my garden fat ball feeder, a garden mega ! and a Beds self found year tick too which will save me a lot of potential walking in trying to collect before the year end. Hopefully it will stick around, can I then count it for next year too please ?



8 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, a fabulous garden tick...but would your garden be a private site Mr Grimsey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, a fabulous garden tick...but would your garden be a private site Mr Grimsey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome to drop in for a coffee if you are down this way, so... no

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems churlish to take this one away from you on this basis as its such a fine record... Next bird club outing in your garden then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree- I heard a rumour that there was once a Black Redstart in said Wychwood Avenue garden. Though I've never heard the very modest Mr. Grimsey mention it! Well he hasnt this week anyway.
    I see what you've done there Richard- same comment- different post- save yer keyboard eh?- like it......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I mention my two Waxwing and two Reed Warbler records, including the one that was singing from the bamboo next to my pond and my midnight flyover Cuckoo? oh and I had a Black Redstart one evening too (but not yet photographed a Turtle Dove on my garden fence as I would have plastered every birds blog and website in Beds with that one)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Turtle Dove either, and not enough IT skill to boast about it on a multi-blog level.
    ......and yes, yes I've heard the Reed Warbler and Cuckoo stories- they've become north Luton legends.
    I nicked a Reed Warbler for my own garden list this year (#101), but still waiting for 'that' Black Redstart. But when I do finally get it, everyone will know about it........

    ReplyDelete