Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

Nice weather for ducks


Out and about between the rain this weekend. With Stewartby roost probably well watched after RBG and Kittiwakes over the previous two days, I thought I would try my luck at Grovebury for some fresh air Saturday evening… and it was fresh especially without gloves. As the gulls built up my hopes for Kitty increased but there was none doing and a probable Yellow-legged Gull in the near dark will have to wait for another time to hit the list. A couple of birds did fly in though and hit the SFYL net, firstly a Shelduck and then a female Goosander, which joined a male that appeared from nowhere in the far corner so presumably had been lurking in cover (and had been reported there last week).
So other than plastic Barnacle Goose and maybe plastic RCP, all the likely wildfowl now on the list and just real scarcities left.

Still fancying a bit of Kitty, and guessing every one else would be in bed, I had another run round some brick pits on Sunday morning and scored again nicely with a Slavonian Grebe at Stewartby, though I am mindful that this could be the Brogborough bird moved along (did that bird also count for the previous Stew record at the end of Jan?) Three Oyks there and one in Quest were not new, but three Ringed Plovers through Quest at the start of a heavy shower were my first in Beds of the year. Duck and swan numbers well down in Chimney Corner complex but once again had Bittern there, no doubt disturbed by my arrival over the bank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment