Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2012

January - RIB

Like others, started with a sore head, dipping the county's first Great White Egret at Brogborough. My first proper birding of the years was Harrold-Odell where key birds for self finds were Water Rail and a good range of ducks. Trips around the upper Ivel and Ouse gave me Egyptian Geese. Derek White's on the fifth provided Jack Snipes. Annoyingly Dave Ball executed a mid week hit at Radwell and got some White-fronts. Blunham Lake on the 12th was handy providing a Ruddy Duck and then we were on to mid month and the Great Duck Hunt - proving the way to bulk up your self-found list is by giving yourself an excuse to get out there. Most of my patches at only watched regularly by me so often provide something for the SFYL. The GDH tour got me Marsh Tit, Goosander, Barn Owl, Red-crested Pochard, Pintail, Kingfisher, Little Egret and some Grey Partridge. Working at the Lodge - Raven, easy, Lesser Redpoll at Blunham, Shelduck (a second bird), and a Green Sandpiper at Gypsy Lane although the White-fronted Goose at Blunham Lake was probably the Little Barford bird so stretching the countability! This takes me to 87 with a few easy ones still to get. I would have expected Mandarin at Bunham before now.

No comments:

Post a Comment